Wednesday, November 18, 2009

Running Out of Running Time

I wonder about things like this: if you like you're job, you don't ever want to leave it. Then it's always on your mind. But if you hate your job, you leave it at the end of the day, and you don't think about it. Except the odd lingering feeling that you hate your job of course. Which of these two situations is better for all the other parts of life that aren't your job. Circumstances have lead me to be in this state of mind today, which makes editing a struggle.

Although another reason editing's a struggle is that it tends to be a pain in the ass to see Lady's Speed Stick on a shelf in the background of my scene. I can't use that shot. And yes, is the answer, I do wear Lady's Speed Stick (kidding...maybe).

An hour and 19 minutes done, and I'm still a ways from the climax. The last movie I saw was Trainspotting. Running time 94 minutes. I am worried. But other of my favs include Fight Club 139 minutes, Pulp Fiction 154 minutes. So clearly, unlike some people I don't discriminate based on length...(haha). It takes balls to try to make a movie longer than two hours. Cuz long movies that don't quite hit the mark are painful. Short movies that have even an ounce of filler, feel unfulfilling. It's a tightrope Spud...a fuckin tightrope.




Railed Up and Wrecked has two stories that it's following. Trent's story. And Dream Story which is Trent's way of subconsciously dealing with everything through two main characters Billy and Glenn. Billy is Trent's dream interpretation of his brother as well as how he'd like to be; and Glenn is Trent's interpretation of himself. Trainspotting only follows Renton's story. Pulp Fiction follows three stories (Vincent's, Butch's and Jules'). So based on this very precise mathematical system of 1 story = 90 min (Trainspotting) and 3 stories = 150 mins (Pulp Fiction) that should put Railed Up at exactly 120 minutes with 2 stories. Right?? Haha, I hope so.



Running time is always on my mind lately. It's always that 'but' in my mind. Like "Damn that's a sick line, I can't cut that.....but"

1 hour 19 minutes. That's the mark I hit early this afternoon. Things are slow. I am sad. But that's a from a combination of things. This project is all consuming. When I'm not editing, or working on it in some way or another I feel like I should be. Is this bad? I don't know. Probably not. I don't yet have enough perspective yet still being in the thick of it.. I'm probably just having a rough day.

hmmm...

I think that's it for now..





Here's a couple for pics from the movie...This is from a beauty scene where John's character beats the shit out of the blond lookin fella Mitch, while 3 guys hold him back, Scott (the shaved head guy), Matt (Black Shirt Guy), and Bruce (looks super worried guy)




No comments:

Post a Comment